School starts next week for my girls, and we are all excited. We have a few back to school traditions in our house that we love. I wrote about my very favorite tradition over on Instagram. The other tradition we have is to make a handmade gift to give each of their new teachers on the first day of school.
These easy DIY chalkboard notebooks are a great back to school project that even the youngest kids can make. Add an apple and you have the perfect back to school teacher’s gift!
Want to make a few DIY chalkboard notebooks?
You Will Need:
- Place a piece of heavy kraft paper (or any other paper you have around) in between the front cover and the pages of the composition book.
- Paint a thin coat of chalkboard paint on the front cover of the composition book.
- Once it is dry to the touch, apply a second coat (and possibly a third, if needed).
- Once the front is completely dry, flip it over, and repeat steps 1-3 on the back cover.
- Cut a piece of white (or any other color you like) duct tape a bit longer than the spine of your notebook. Center it and then cut off any extra tape on the top and bottom of the spine.
- Wrap the duct tape around the spine and press down to adhere.
- Decorate as you wish! Depending on the type of chalkboard paint you used, you will probably need to prime the surface before writing on it. (Just rub the side of a piece of chalk all over the surface, then wipe clean with a dry cloth.) Regular chalk is a lot easier to remove from the notebook, but chalk markers make a cleaner design.
My 7 year old made this all on her own. The little one needed some help, but did enough of it that she thinks she did it all on her own. (And thats what counts!) They are both so proud to give these to their teachers on the first day of school.
What is your favorite back to school tradition?